These circle of fifths reference sheets will help you introduce your students to the circle of fifths in a colorful and engaging way.
These reference sheets will help you teach scales, chords, key signatures, majors and relative minors, and more.
What Is The Circle Of Fifths?
The circle of fifths is a terrific tool to use when introducing students to key signatures, scales, and chords.
When I show my piano students how it can help them memorize their scales and key signatures, they fall in love with the idea of using the “rainbow circle with all the sharps and flats on it”!
What does this download include?
This download includes 2 circle of fifths reference sheets:
- Vibrant and colorful circle of fifths
- Black and white circle of fifths
How can you use the circle of fifths reference sheets in piano lessons?
- Music theory
- Key signatures
- Order of sharps and flats
- Chord progressions
- Chords in a key
- And so much more!
Who are these circle of fifths reference sheets for?
- Piano students who learn best visually
- Students who are learning scales and key signatures
- Piano teachers
- Group piano class
- College students in beginning piano class
- Music theory students
- Practically anyone who is studying music
What is the best way to use these circle of fifths reference sheets?
- Use them on your iPad or other tablet
- Print them
- Hang them in your studio (Printing onto glossy photo paper or card stock looks terrific!)
- Add them to your piano students’ binders
- Use them as handy reference sheets or posters in your studio
- Use them to track the scales a student has learned by having the student color the section after performing the scale
Tips for using the circle of fifths reference sheets in piano lessons
- I use these reference sheets with my piano students as we focus on learning scales, chord progressions, and arpeggios.
- I introduce the scale, arpeggio, and chord progression in the same key to all of my students during the same week so we can build studio community and a little friendly competition.
- When my students play the scale, cadence, and arpeggio correctly in their lesson the next week, they color that section of their circle of fifths and get to learn the next key around the circle.
- Each week when I introduce a new scale to my students, I use the circle of fifths to help them discover the key signature, see how far they’ve traveled around the circle, and see what’s coming up next.
- Learn more about introducing the circle of fifths to your piano students.
❤️ Related resources you’ll love!
- First Steps to Superstar Scales Piano Technique Book for Beginners – Pentascales, Arpeggios, Chords
- Junior Superstar Scales Beginning Piano Technique Book – On-Staff Pentascales, Chords, Arpeggios
- Superstar Scales Piano Technique Book – Scales, Arpeggios, Chord Progressions
- Superstar Scales Piano Technique Books Bundle: 3 Super Books of Piano Scales, Chords, Arpeggios
- The colorful circle of fifths reference sheet is included in the Superstar Scales Piano Technique Book Series.
Copyright © Melody Payne. All rights reserved.
Purchasing this resources grants you a single user license for use by a single teacher. (Piano teachers: this is a studio license.)
Purchase multiple licenses for multiple users (multiple teachers) at checkout.
Having trouble with a file? Please contact me.