Do your piano students cringe when you mention “composing”? Do they tell you they “can’t write music”? Then you need this Christmas composing activity!
When students follow the step-by-step composition instructions and worksheets in Christmas Composing, they will learn that they CAN compose, and their confidence will soar!
This fun and engaging Christmas composing activity was inspired by my favorite holiday of the entire year!
Step by step instructions lead elementary piano and music students to complete the composition worksheets and compose their very own song over a period of days or weeks depending on your teaching schedule.
To make this music composition activity even more engaging and memorable for your students, have them perform their compositions for each other during your class Holiday or Christmas party!
The pages can be used as slides, projected, used on iPad or other tablet, printed, and more.
What does this Christmas composing activity include?
The Christmas composing activity includes worksheets for the following:
- Step 1: Writing descriptive words about someone or something related to Christmas
- Step 2: Adding rhythms to the descriptive words
- Step 3: Combining two or more rhythms to form motives
- Step 4: Using your voice to begin creating a melody
- Step 5: Transforming a picture of your voice into a melody
- Step 6: Writing the melody onto staff paper
- Step 7: Adding lyrics if desired
- Step 8: Adding a title
What does the Christmas composing Download include?
The download includes instructions, worksheets, flash cards, staff paper, and more.
- Worksheets for steps 1-4 above
- Flash cards and music alphabet cards for step 5
- Staff paper for step 6
- Instructions for steps 7-8
- All sheets are in full color as well as black and white
- View the preview for more details and photos
Who can use this Christmas composing activity?
- This Christmas composing activity is great to use for small segments of multiple class sessions, lessons, group classes, and music camps.
- It is a versatile activity that can appeal to multiple elementary age groups.
- Even the youngest elementary students can be very successful when composing by following the simple steps included in this resource, along with your guidance and encouragement.
Storing and Organizing the Flash Cards
I love storing the flash cards and music alphabet cards in colorful 4×6 photo boxes like these (affiliate link). They are my favorites because they’re the perfect size, and the colors are vibrant and fun!
❤️ Related resources you’ll love!
- Autumn Composing Guided Music Composition Activity and Worksheets for Piano
- Composing with S’mores: Guided Music Composition for Elementary Students
- Easter Composing: A Guided Elementary Music Composition Activity
- Halloween Music Worksheets: Zombie Composing Guided Music Composition Activity
- Halloween Composition Activity for Elementary Music: Spider Rhythm Spinners
Copyright © Melody Payne. All rights reserved.
Purchasing this resources grants you a single user license for use by a single teacher. (Piano teachers: this is a studio license.)
Purchase multiple licenses for multiple users (multiple teachers) at checkout.
Having trouble with a file? Please contact me.