Whether you’re beginning to teach online lessons for the first time and you need some tips, or whether you’re inviting your current local students to become part of your online studio by sharing with their parents the benefits of online learning for their family, this book will help you set up your studio, talk with your students’ parents, set up and learn how to use the best technology for online piano lessons, and create the online piano studio that you’ve been imagining.
By following the suggestions and worksheets in this eBook, you’ll learn to create a streamlined workflow for your online lessons, you’ll become comfortable and confident as an online teacher, and you’ll learn to create the online studio that you want.
Due to our current world circumstances with the Coronavirus pandemic, school closures, and many people self-quarantining, I want to get this book into your hands as quickly as possible so you can get started learning and implementing the ideas and strategies introduced in each chapter right away.
I am still working on some additional information to add to this book, and I will let you know when it is complete so you can download the updated version. Thank you for your patience, and please know I am working to get it done as quickly as possible.
Contents of this Quick Start Guide:
- Benefits of teaching online
- Turning the cons into pros
- Basic technology setup
- ⭐️ ADDED 3/25/20: More specific tips and setup instructions
- Enhanced technology setup
- ⭐️ ADDED 3/25/20: Webcam tutorials for FaceTime, Skype, and Zoom
- Platforms for teaching
- Equipment needed
- Policies for online lessons
- How to get paid for teaching online lessons
- Teaching tips for online lessons
- Student tips to make everything go smoothly
- Recitals for online students
- ⭐️ ADDED 3/18/20: Activities for online students
- ⭐️ ADDED 4/1/20: Video tutorials! (See the Table of Contents for instructions to access the videos)
- Introduction to my technology setup for online piano lessons
- Using GoodNotes & Dropbox for online piano lessons
- Using ManyCam’s multiple webcam views
- Using ManyCam with Zoom to show your iPad to students during a lesson
- Configuring ManyCam’s multiple camera presets for an optimal viewing experience for your students
- Screen share and annotate on scores with Kindle app for iPad (⭐️ 5/11/20)
⭐️ ADDED 4/3/20 & 4/16/2020: More Videos: Modifying your favorite apps to play them in an online piano lesson
- Flash Note Derby with Zoom Screen Share
- Chord Recognition with Tenuto & Zoom Screen Share
- Flash Note Derby with ManyCam
- Note Rush with Zoom Screen Share (⭐️ 4/20/20)
- Students can annotate in Zoom screen share (⭐️ 4/21/20)
- ⭐️ NEW 4/21/20: Lesson Segments allow you to take a peek into my online studio!
- Working on dynamics & articulation in Zoom (⭐️ 4/21/20)
- Scales & chords in Zoom (⭐️ 4/21/20)
- Teaching a very young student with the GoodNotes app for iPad and Zoom screen share (⭐️ 5/11/20)
- Working on noticing elements in the score with a young student, using the GoodNotes App (⭐️ 5/26/20)
- Preparing to practice: Score study (⭐️ 5/27/20)
- Chapter prep pages
- Workbook pages with questions to help you navigate your online teaching questions
- Note taking pages to use as you read each chapter
- And more!
- This Quick Start eBook contains 90 easy-to-read pages in 8 chapters, and more chapters will be added soon!
- Free updates for life
⭐️ You may remember my “Getting Started with Online Lessons” webinar from 2014-2017. This is a revamp and overhaul of that webinar being offered at a low price, with new chapters coming soon, in eBook and workbook format for ease of use. If you purchased my webinar during that time, message me through my contact form with proof of purchase and I’ll send you a coupon code to download this book for free.
All products are DIGITAL and will be available for download in your account after purchase.
PDF file, 90 pages, plus video tutorials