Give your students a fun way to practice notating and performing rhythms with this llama rhythm spinners composition activity! Students will spin the spinner to complete each measure with the appropriate number of beats, based on the time signature. Then they can enjoy performing their rhythm composition for the rest of the class or for you!
What is included in this llama rhythm spinners composition activity?
- Full color set with llama and cacti
- Black and white set (these look really cute printed on Astrobrights card stock!)
- 16 spinner pages (4 spinners each of 3 sections, 4 sections, 5 sections, and 6 sections)
- 4 notations sheets with time signatures
- 4 blank spinner pages so you can add any rhythms you like to suit your students’ current needs
- 4 blank notation sheets without time signatures
- Plastic spinners are not included, but I use these plastic spinners and they work beautifully with card stock. Paperclips spun around a pencil tip, and fidget spinners work great too!
Using the llama rhythm spinners composition activity in group piano or music class
This llama rhythm spinners composition activity is great for private lessons as well as groups! Students can complete the activity on their own, or as a team.
- Each group needs only one spinner page (plastic spinners must be purchased separately).
- Each person in the group needs his own notation page.
- A variety of time signatures is included, as well as a page without time signatures.
- The students take turns spinning the spinner, then notating the rhythm onto their notation sheet.
- After the rhythms have been notated, the students take turns performing their rhythms for their peers.
- To sum up, students Spin, Notate, and Perform!
Using this llama rhythm spinners composition activity in private piano lessons
- Student needs one spinner page and one notation sheet.
- The student spins the spinner, notates the rhythm, and the performs the completed rhythm for the teacher.
Using the llama rhythm spinners composition activity to write music!
- After students build their rhythm patterns, they can use the rhythms to create a truly unique and special piece of sheet music!
- Click here to learn how to easily turn their rhythm patterns into a fun and unique piece of sheet music!
Performance tips for the llama rhythm spinners composition activity
- Students should be creative when performing!
- Marching, tapping, snapping, performing in the style of the Cup Game, using Boomwhackers, classroom percussion instruments, the piano, and playing a clapping game are only a few of the many ways students can move to their newly created rhythm patterns.
- Most importantly, have fun!
Bonus tips for the llama rhythm spinners composition activity
- The notation sheets are an excellent tool for reinforcing time signatures and beats in a measure.
- Students can continue spinning the spinner until they build the correct number of beats in each measure on the notation sheet.
- For an easier version for younger students, use each box on the notation sheets as one beat, rather than one measure.
Teachers like you are saying…
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Kim L. says, “Great resource and can be used in so many ways. With my younger students, they spin and on my lollipop drum can count out the beats of the notes. Very engaging. I love the llama!! 😀”
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ IMMusic says, “I loved using this! […] I usually just choose the ones they need to print, and we begin the activity in class, and they can finish it for homework 😀 One of my students said “Wait, so you’re saying my homework is to play a game?” 😄 So fun! Because they’re enjoying while learning! Wonderful resource […] highly recommend! 😀”
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Paige A. says, “My students really enjoyed using these spinners. They were so excited to compose their own music, and were confident when they performed their creations for the class! Thanks!”
❤️ Related resources you’ll love!
If your students loved this llama rhythm spinners composition activity, they’ll enjoy these llama and composition resources too!
- Composing – 7 Guided Music Composition Activities and Worksheets for Piano Lessons & Music Class
- 4 Rhythm Exploration and Performance Activities for Beginning Piano – Rhythm Animals
- Music Math Worksheets with Llamas MEGA Set
Copyright © Melody Payne. All rights reserved.
Purchasing this resources grants you a single user license for use by a single teacher. (Piano teachers: this is a studio license.)
Purchase multiple licenses for multiple users (multiple teachers) at checkout.
Having trouble with a file? Please contact me.
There are no reviews yet.