Your students will fall in love with sight-reading when they play these 5 engaging sight-reading games – Feed the Music Monster!
This bundle of interactive piano games includes 5 levels of “classical” melody cards from Bach to Joplin that will nourish your piano students’ sight-reading and ear training skills as they devour these tasty sight-reading snacks.
Students will sight-read the famous classical melody, feed the sight-reading card to the music monster, and move forward on the game board. First one to the finish line wins!
These music games are fabulous for piano students in private piano lessons and group piano, and anyone who wants to improve their sight-reading.
This bundle of sight-reading games includes:
- Pre-Reading Beginning Piano Game – Feed the Music Monster Sight-Reading & Ear Training
- Middle C Position Game – Feed the Music Monster Sight-Reading and Ear Training
- Treble and Bass Clef Game – Feed the Music Monster Sight-Reading and Ear Training
- Treble Clef Ledger Lines Game – Feed the Music Monster Sight-Reading & Ear Training
- Bass Clef Ledger Lines Game – Feed the Music Monster Sight-Reading & Ear Training
- Click here for assembly instructions and more game options.
- ✅ Download the Feed the Music Monster Treble Clef Middle C Position set for free.
Pre-Reading Beginning Piano Game
Your pre-staff piano students will love sight-reading short and familiar classical melodies in this pre-reading beginning piano game – Feed the Music Monster!
20 classical melody cards help beginner piano students strengthen their sight-reading and ear training, recognition of the white piano keys, right hand and left hand, piano finger numbers, steady beat, and more!
Sight-read the melody, feed the music monster, and move forward on the game board. First one to the finish line wins!
This pre-reading beginning piano game is fabulous for private piano lessons and group piano.
Middle C Position Piano Game
Feed the Music Monster Middle C Position game helps beginning piano students review Bass F to Treble G, F3 to G4, by sight-reading short classical melodies.
Students will sight-read the 4-measure melody, feed the card to the music monster, and roll the dice to move forward on the game board. First one to the finish line wins!
Fabulous activity for private and group piano lessons.
Treble and Bass Clef Game
Your students will love practicing treble clef and bass clef notes from Bass C to Treble C (C3 to C5) as they play the Feed the Music Monster treble and bass clef game!
This interactive piano game includes 20 classical melody cards that will nourish your piano students’ sight-reading and ear training skills as they devour these tasty sight-reading snacks.
Students will sight-read the famous 4-measure classical melody, feed the card to the music monster, and move forward on the game board. First one to the finish line wins!
Treble Clef Ledger Lines Game
Feed the Music Monster is a printable treble clef ledger lines game that helps students review treble clef notes above and below the staff, G3 to B5 by sight-reading short melodies.
These 20 classical melody cards help piano students strengthen their sight-reading and ear training as they play this interactive hands-on sight-reading activity.
Sight-read the melody, feed the music monster, and move forward on the game board. First one to the finish line wins! Fabulous for private and group piano.
Bass Clef Ledger Lines Game
Do you need a way to make sight-reading fun for your piano students? They’ll love this Feed the Music Monster bass clef ledger lines game!
This printable sight-reading game is designed to make bass clef notes interactive and engaging for your piano students.
Students will sight-read short classical melodies, feed the music monster, and move ahead on the game board. The first one to reach the finish line wins!
Perfect for private or group piano lessons, this engaging piano sight-reading game brings fun and excitement while learning and reviewing bass clef notes. Your students will love it!
How these sight-reading games benefit your piano students
Feed the Music Monster sight-reading games are fun music activities that are perfect for those last few minutes of a piano lesson.
Use these multi-level sight-reading games to help piano students continue working on their piano sight-reading and aural skills in an engaging and interactive way.
- Helps them focus on the details of a very short piece of music (4 measures).
- Gives them the opportunity to sight-read a variety of familiar classical melodies.
- Provides a way for students to view sight-reading as a fun activity.
- These sight-reading activities are beneficial for students in private lessons and group piano lessons.
- Using only the black and white bonus cards makes this sight-reading activity appropriate for students of any age, even adults!
Using these sight-reading games with your students
These fun and versatile piano sight-reading games can easily be used in a variety of settings. Here are a few suggestions:
- Private piano lessons
- Group piano classes or group lessons
- Music camps
- Piano parties
- As an ice-breaker activity
- A team-building activity
- In a game station after a recital
- Instead of sight-reading from books or formal sight-reading materials
- Instead of traditional music note flash cards
- To introduce some classical melodies and composers of the standard repertoire to students in an interactive way
Game Option #1: Teacher and Student: Ear Training
- Place the sight-reading game cards into a container and shake to shuffle.
- The student draws 2 cards.
- The teacher plays the melody on one of the cards.
- If the student correctly chooses which melody the teacher played, the student feeds that card to the music monster and puts the other card back into the container. If the student chooses incorrectly, both cards go back into the container.
- Continue playing until you run out of time or all the cards have been fed to the music monster.
Game Option #2: Student Only: Sight-Reading
- Place the game cards into the container and shake to shuffle.
- The student draws a card and plays the melody.
- If the student plays the melody correctly, the student feeds the card to the music monster.
- If the student plays the card incorrectly, the card goes back into the container.
- The student continues playing until all the cards have been fed to the music monster, or until you run out of time.
Using the Bonus Game Board with these sight-reading games
- Use the bonus game board to add some friendly competition in private lessons or group piano classes!
- After a student sight-reads the melody on the sight-reading card, they can roll the dice to see how many spaces to move on the game board.
- For extra fun, use EXTRA LARGE dice!
- The first one to the finish line wins!
Simple Black and White Sight-Reading Cards
- Use the black and white sight-reading cards with any student who isn’t necessarily interested in playing sight-reading games with music monsters, but who would still benefit from practicing sight-reading.
- These black and white cards are perfect for piano students of all ages: teens and adults or even younger students who like a more straightforward approach to sight-reading.
More ways to use these sight-reading games
- Need some inspiration for implementing these sight-reading games into weekly piano lessons?
- Learn 4 Ways to Use Feed the Music Monster Sight-Reading Games with your piano students.
- Here are 10 Ways to Use Sight-Reading Games in Private and Group Piano Lessons.
Storing and Organizing the Music Game Cards
I love storing all of my game cards in colorful 4×6 photo boxes like these. They are my favorites because they’re the perfect size for these cards, and the colors are vibrant and fun!
❤️ Related resources you’ll love!
If you enjoyed helping your piano students improve their sight-reading with this Feed the Music Monster sight-reading games bundle, you’ll love these resources!
- Feed the Music Monster Printable Sight-Reading and Ear Training Games BUNDLE
- Superstar Scales Piano Technique Books Bundle: 3 Super Books of Piano Scales, Chords, Arpeggios
- 200 Music Theory Worksheets – No Prep, Print and Go Pages for Music Class and Piano Lessons
- 650+ Huge Music Worksheets Mega Bundle for Piano Lessons and Music Class
Copyright © Melody Payne. All rights reserved.
Purchasing this resources grants you a single user license for use by a single teacher. (Piano teachers: this is a studio license.)
Purchase multiple licenses for multiple users (multiple teachers) at checkout.
Having trouble with a file? Please contact me.