Practicing the notes of Middle C position, Bass F to Treble G (F3 to G4), is tons of fun with this Middle C Position game, Feed the Music Monster!
These 20 classical melody cards help piano students build their sight-reading and ear training skills as they play this interactive hands-on sight-reading activity.
Students will sight-read the famous classical melody, feed the sight-reading card to the music monster, and move forward on the game board. First one to the finish line wins!
This game is a fun way to review middle C notes, and it is fabulous for beginner piano students in private piano lessons and group piano.
This Feed the Music Monster Middle C Position game includes:
- 20 classical melodies (in the broad sense of the word) by famous composers from Bach to Bizet.
- Range: Bass F to Treble G, F3 to G4, the notes of Middle C position.
- Note Values: Quarter, half, dotted half, and whole notes.
- Rest Values: Quarter, half, and whole rests.
- Keys: Accidentals are included within the melodies. No key signatures beyond 0 sharps and flats are used.
- Other: Single-line melodies. Tempo markings. Dynamics. Sharps and flats. Staccato. Time signatures.
- Includes instructions for teacher/student game and student only game.
- Includes a bonus game board!
- Bonus: Black and white sight-reading cards without clipart are included for students who need a more straightforward approach to sight-reading.
- Click here for assembly instructions and more game options.
- ✅ Download the Feed the Music Monster Treble Clef Middle C Position set for free.
How this Middle C Position game benefits your piano students
Feed the Music Monster Middle C Position game is a fun piano sight-reading activity that is perfect for those last few minutes of a piano lesson.
Use this Middle C note reading game to help beginning piano students continue working on their piano sight-reading and aural skills in an engaging and interactive way.
- Helps them focus on the details of a very short piece of music (4 measures).
- Gives them the opportunity to sight-read a variety of familiar classical melodies.
- Provides a way for students to view sight-reading as a fun activity.
- This sight-reading activity is beneficial for students in private lessons and group piano lessons.
- Using only the black and white bonus cards makes this sight-reading activity appropriate for students of any age, even adults!
Using this Middle C Position game with your students
This fun and versatile piano sight-reading game can easily be used in a variety of settings. Here are a few suggestions:
- Private piano lessons
- Group piano classes or group lessons
- Music camps
- Piano parties
- As an ice-breaker activity
- A team-building activity
- In a game station after a recital
- Instead of sight-reading from books or formal sight-reading materials
- Instead of flash cards
- To introduce some classical melodies and composers of the standard repertoire to students in an interactive way
Game Option #1: Teacher and Student: Ear Training
- Place the Middle C position game cards into a container and shake to shuffle.
- The student draws 2 cards.
- The teacher plays the melody on one of the cards.
- If the student correctly chooses which melody the teacher played, the student feeds that card to the music monster and puts the other card back into the container. If the student chooses incorrectly, both cards go back into the container.
- Continue playing until you run out of time or all the cards have been fed to the music monster.
Game Option #2: Student Only: Sight-Reading
- Place the Middle C position game cards into the container and shake to shuffle.
- The student draws a card and plays the melody.
- If the student plays the melody correctly, the student feeds the card to the music monster.
- If the student plays the card incorrectly, the card goes back into the container.
- The student continues playing until all the cards have been fed to the music monster, or until you run out of time.
Using the Bonus Game Board with this Middle C Position Game
- Use the bonus game board to add some friendly competition in private lessons or group piano classes!
- After a student sight-reads the Middle C melody on the sight-reading card, they can roll the dice to see how many spaces to move on the game board.
- For extra fun, use EXTRA LARGE dice!
- The first one to the finish line wins!
Simple Black and White Sight-Reading Cards
- Use the black and white Middle C position game cards with any student who isn’t necessarily interested in music monsters but who would still benefit from practicing sight-reading Middle C notes from Bass F to Treble G.
- These black and white cards are perfect for beginner piano students of all ages: teens and adults or even younger students who like a more straightforward approach to sight-reading.
Learn More About this Middle C Position Sight-Reading Game
Need some inspiration for implementing this sight-reading game into weekly piano lessons?
Learn 4 Ways to Use Feed the Music Monster Sight-Reading Games with your piano students.
Here are 10 Ways to Use Sight-Reading Games in Private and Group Piano Lessons.
Storing and Organizing the Middle C Position Game Cards
I love storing all of my sight-reading game cards in colorful 4×6 photo boxes like these. They are my favorites because they’re the perfect size for these cards, and the colors are vibrant and fun!
❤️ Related resources you’ll love!
If you enjoyed helping your beginning piano students with sight-reading Middle C notes with this Feed the Music Monster Middle C Position game, you’ll love these resources!
- Halloween Music Game: Feed the Pumpkin Sight-Reading in Middle C Position
- Feed the Music Monster Printable Sight-Reading and Ear Training Games BUNDLE
- Superstar Scales Piano Technique Books Bundle: 3 Super Books of Piano Scales, Chords, Arpeggios
- 200 Music Theory Worksheets – No Prep, Print and Go Pages for Music Class and Piano Lessons
Copyright © Melody Payne. All rights reserved.
Purchasing this resources grants you a single user license for use by a single teacher. (Piano teachers: this is a studio license.)
Purchase multiple licenses for multiple users (multiple teachers) at checkout.
Having trouble with a file? Please contact me.
There are no reviews yet.