Hi! I’m Melody Payne, and I’m a self-employed musician who teaches piano lessons in Marion, Virginia. Being a piano teacher is one of my favorite things in the world. In short, I’m a Southern Girl who is also a piano teacher, blogger, and someone who loves being creative.
I have a doctorate in music, and I’ve been teaching piano lessons since 1990 (Yes, I was just barely in high school!). Teaching piano lessons, especially to beginners who are in elementary school, has always been one of my favorite things, and I couldn’t imagine my life without my sweet students. They bring so much joy to my week, and seeing their lightbulb moments when they nail a new concept makes my day every single time!
I have always loved creating resources for my own students and wanted to share those resources with other teachers, so in October 2013 I began my Teachers Pay Teachers journey so I can make those resources available to teachers and students around the world. My passion for creating continues to grow on a daily basis! I love putting together music worksheets and other resources, music decor items, organizational materials, and Bible resources.
I have also enjoyed blogging about piano teaching and all things music-related since 2012. My original blog, The Plucky Pianista, along with its articles and freebies is still available, and all my new and more recent posts are located here on my current website.
My work has been featured on a variety of different sites, and it has been an honor to collaborate with many amazing musicians over the past several years.
- Unlocking Your Musicality, Part 1 Contribution to the 100th episode celebration of The Musicality Podcast at Musical-U with Christopher Sutton
- Getting “Off Book” Podcast Interview on The Musicality Podcast at Musical-U with Christopher Sutton
- “The Top Influential Piano Blogs You Should Be Reading” at Digital Piano Review Guide
- “7 Piano Experts Share Their Business Growing Tips” at Tim Topham
- “TTTV 052: Teaching Skype Lessons with Melody Payne” Podcast Interview at Tim Topham
- “Problem solved! Seeking solutions online. Part 1: Blogs” by Karen Thickstun, Cara Haxo, Abigail Huston, and Joanna Reinhardt in Clavier Companion Magazine, July/August 2015. My original Plucky Pianista blog was listed as number 3 of 20 music teaching blogs that resonated with college piano pedagogy majors, according to their evaluation rubric.
- “Choosing a Life in Music” at Musical-U.com (scroll down to the last section of the post)
In addition to all the incredible music projects I am blessed to be part of, I love things that are totally not music related (Ghirardelli hot cocoa, fuzzy slippers, sunrises and sunsets, snuggling, baking… Those are all incredibly comforting, don’t ya think?). My favorite thing in the world is being with my amazing hubby Greg. We LOVE traveling and going on fun adventures together, especially to small towns and national parks, and we love exploring new restaurants with amazing food! We’ve been married since 2010, and we’re loving every minute of it! We live in a home that we have been renovating in Marion, Virginia, a charming and peaceful town nestled in the beautiful Blue Ridge mountains of southwest Virginia.
If you want to read my official bio, click here.